Bulldogs Advance In Thrilling OT Region 1-A Semifinal



In an absolute thriller, Hampton had just enough to keep the season alive.

Hayden Campbell pushed the Bulldogs ahead in the final minute of overtime, and Michael Anspaugh secured the win in the closing seconds with a steal and layup as Hampton took a 57-53 OT victory over North Greene in the Region 1-A Semifinals at West Ridge.

With the win, Hampton advances to take on University High in Thursday’s Region 1-A Championship game, and also secured a spot in Monday’s sectional round.

In the first quarter, it was a battle of runs.

Cadon Buckles opened the scoring with an old-fashioned 3-point play, while Anspaugh reeled off seven straight before a Buckles jumper gave Hampton a 12-1 lead with 3:36 left in the frame.

North Greene’s Jason Britton, however, responded as he scored four straight, and Lance Carrico hit a shot to pull the Huskies within four.

Geno Carrico pushed the lead with a late Hampton bucket as the Bulldogs held a 14-8 lead at the half.

The Bulldogs saw Dylan Trivett combine with Anspaugh and Buckles for a quick 7-0 run as Hampton pushed the lead to 13, but North Greene slowly chipped it back to 25-17 at the half.

Points were at a premium in the third quarter as Hampton maintained the advantage until Britton and Lawson Davenport hit back-to-back shots to trim the Hampton lead to 37-29 after three complete.

Buckles and Carrico combined for a 6-2 Hampton run to open the fourth, but the Huskies battled back with a 17-4 run over a five-minute stretch to take a 46-45 lead with 1:20 left in regulation.

Hampton saw Carrico regain the lead with a shot from the top of the key with 49 seconds left, but Bennett Mclain scored with three seconds left for NG to force overtime.

Chance Point broke open the scoring in the extra period, but Britton answered on the other end for North Greene as the Huskies took a 51-50 lead with 2:25 left.

Campbell regained the lead for the Bulldogs, and then answered a pair of NG free throws by converting an old-fashioned 3-point play in the final minute.

In the closing seconds, Anspaugh poked the ball away and took it in for a layup to secure the win for the Bulldogs.

Buckles had 18 points for Hampton despite fouling out with just over two minutes left in regulation, while Anspaugh and Carrico had 11 points apiece.

Campbell and Trivett had seven and five points, respectively.

Britton had 25 points to lead North Greene.

For more photos, click here.


The Latest

error: Content is protected !!